Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -EliteFunds
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:27:57
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (36)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- States sue Meta claiming its social platforms are addictive and harm children’s mental health
- Can a rebooted 'Frasier' still scramble our eggs?
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson wants Paris museum to change the skin color of his new wax figure
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- John Stamos says he's 'afraid' to think of how Bob Saget would react to new memoir
- Danny Masterson asks judge to grant Bijou Phillips custody of their daughter amid divorce
- Many families to get a break on winter heating costs but uncertainties persist
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Appeals panel questions why ‘presidential immunity’ argument wasn’t pursued years ago in Trump case
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Slovakia’s president is ready to swear in a new Cabinet after partner replaces ministry nominee
- Former reality TV star who was on ‘Basketball Wives LA’ sentenced to prison for fraud
- 'I always knew I'd win big': Virginia woman wins $900,000 online instant game jackpot
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Police in Massachusetts are searching for an armed man in connection with his wife’s shooting death
- 8 officers involved in Jayland Walker’s shooting death are back on active duty, officials say
- Night sweats can be as unsettling as they are inconvenient. Here's what causes them.
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Kurt Cobain's Daughter Frances Bean Marries Tony Hawk's Son Riley
Pilot who police say tried to cut the engines on a jet midflight now faces a federal charge
Fountain electrocution: 1 dead, 4 injured at Florida shopping complex
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Montana man gets 18 months in prison for racist phone calls to Black woman employed at church
Bond markets are being hit hard — and it's likely to impact you
As the world gets more expensive, will employees ever see their paychecks catch up?